Monday, June 15, 2009

Can I Shine Your Shoes

     I once read a story about a man who was killed in a traffic crash leaving behind a young wife and two kids. The young mother had never worked. Her husband had been the sole financial supporter of the household. The man was well-liked and the entire community considered it a tragedy. They pulled together during the wake and the funeral offering their assistance. Days after the man was laid to rest, so was the help that had been offered. The young mother found herself daily looking through the want ads and looking for childcare. Then one day, several weeks after the funeral, there was a knock at the door. She answered only to find an old gentleman in tattered clothing looking very disheveled. He looked at her and plainly said, "Let me have your shoes." Rather confused and thinking him mad she responded with, "What !?!" He pulled out an old dirty can of shoe polish and with tears in his eyes replied, "Ma'am, I ain't got much. But I want to help you. Please let me have the honor of polishing your shoes for you."
 
  What has happened? Every day on the news I see unemployment numbers rising. I hear of foreclosure notices hitting entire communities. Our food banks are running dry. Collectively we sit back and think about these sad situations and "wish" there was something we could do to help.
Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.
Matthew 25:35-40
For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

I am not a wealthy person; however, I give. I know that giving does not always mean giving money. It could be sending a card of encouragement to someone who is hurting; visiting shut-ins; taking a meal to someone sick; or babysitting for a single mother who just needs a night alone. Today I challenge you. Shine someone's shoes.
























2 comments:

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...