Saturday, October 29, 2011

I have a birth certificate. . .


I have a piece of paper tucked away in my important documents. It is just a thin, flat sheet that states some details about my life. Details such as where and when I was born, who I belong to (my parents name), and the family name given to me at birth. This piece of paper, for so many years, has given me my identity. I have never even thought about what it would be like not to have this document. . . until this morning.

I was on my elliptical doing my morning exercises before I had to get ready for work at about 6:00 am today; and, while I was pedaling away, I was reading in the book of Ezra. A verse caught my attention:
"These searched for their family records, but they could not find them and so were excluded from the priesthood as unclean." ~ Ezra 6:62
Wow, what a thought! Being excluded from your heart's desire and calling simply because you couldn't find the proper paperwork. Being rejected by others because you could not prove who you are or to whom you belong.
To me, the most wonderful, most amazing, thing occurred the day I discovered my true identity and stopped looking to my birth certificate for the details of me. See, I was adopted. Not by earthly parents ( I am blessed to still "belong" to those who gave me birth). I was adopted by the One Who gave me life!

John 1:3 states we as Christians are ....."children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."
We are Children whose adoption was made possible through the sacrifice of Jesus, the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16) who "God sent Him (Jesus) to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that He could adopt us as His very own children." Galations 4:5.

I do not have to worry about loosing my paperwork and being excluded to life because the one who holds my heart holds the knowledge of my birth through the blood that was shed to buy my freedom. Freedom to accept Him as my Father. Freedom to be a child and to NEVER have to wonder who I am in this life or even when this life is over at which time I will inherit my place in His presence for all of eternity.

I have a birth certificate. It was written in blood long ago on a cross at Calvary. This blood sealed my kinship forevermore. By this blood, I will never be excluded or rejected from His presence.

Father God, I love you so much and am so thankful that You are the desire of my heart. Thank you for giving me a name and calling me your daughter. You love me with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3)!!! My God, please touch the heart of the person reading this. Please let them know that You want them to know the love You have for us.... "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know Him." 1 John 3:1. God I want so much to have MANY brothers and sisters with me in eternity. Please touch their hearts to accept Your love and join me at Your table in Heaven one day. I love You!

1 comment:

  1. I really love this. Your mum recommended the blog to me. She is a good friend on facebook...and I am impressed. Stay strong Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...