Friday, October 23, 2009

Always and Forever?



I can't remember a time in my life where I didn't have a worry or a care.... So often even the day to day droning of life's progress seems almost unpleasant. I was taken aback this week when I read (for the umpteenth million time) the book of Philippians. Specifically Chapter 4.

Philippians 4: 4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I was even more concerned when I had flipped over to 1 Thessalonians 5:18 and read "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ."

Always God? All circumstances? Really?

In the mid 1600's a Christian Pastor named Martin Rinkart lived in a small town called Eilenberg in Germany. He wrote the most beautiful song. I think we have all heard it... ~Now Thank We All Our God.~ This was a trying time for this tiny town. The city was facing problems of over crowding, hunger, plagues. . . But ponder on this verse:

"O may this bounteous God
Through all our life be near us,
With ever joyful hearts
And blessed peace to cheer us;
And keep us in His grace,
And guide us when perplexed,
And free us from all ills
In this world and the next"

Ever joyful hearts! Guide us when perplexed! I can get a little perplexed everyday. When I am sick, have problems with my finances (aka debt), people stressing me out, my car not wanting to run. . . But Martin Rinkart was perplexed for a different reason. He wrote this song at about 1637. That year alone he conducted around five thousand funerals... Including that of his beloved wife.

With an ever joyful heart? Blessed peace to cheer us? How can this man have blessed peace to cheer him? 5000 funerals in one year. That is about 14 a day. How? Because he knew the Lord was near. Again.... He knew the Lord was near (Phil 4:5). No one man (or woman) can face these trials alone.... "But I will never leave you or forsake you." "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou are with me." Thank God we are not alone!

I said I can't remember a time when I didn't have a worry or a care. . . until I met Jesus. I worry not! He is with me. This week I read to rejoice always; to give thanks in all circumstances. This week, I praised Him. For I know I am a city on hill (Matthew 5:14)... I praise Him knowing that all will see the storm He is bringing me through. They will see my God working in and through my life. Because I have this blessed peace to cheer me, I will have an ever joyful heart. A heart that gives Him praise...even when I am perplexed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...