Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pleasure in Pain

Jeremiah 15:18 "Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable? Will you be to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails?" I, like many others can definitely relate to that.

For almost two years now I have dealt with chronic pain in my sacroiliac joint; which has led to pain in my lower back, and most recently caused sciatica. The pain does not cease. Some days, getting out of bed was a chore. I would have to set my alarm earlier than normal just to be sure that I could get out of bed in time to make it to work. Medical doctors were quick to treat the symptom, offering shots and pain pills. I don't even like the thoughts of either. So I tried natural remedies, physical therapy, and chiropractors. The latter of these seemed to help the most. But nothing has cured or stopped my pain.

I began reading the story of Job again. Here is a man who knew pain. He suffered great emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual pain. No one understood his plight. I can relate to that too.... Wow how many times have I been asked if I was harboring deep bitterness, hiding sins, or simply lacking faith. I have been told by so many well meaning Christians, "You are healed so you need to just walk in faith." Really? That would be great.... if only I could walk.

So, I pray. And I press on. Trying to deal with this as gracefully as possible. Some days that is simple enough; then there are days when there is no hiding my pain. Through it all I have held to the truth... God can and will heal, in His time. But after reading in the book of Job, I realize that it is really not important. There is something else so much more important than my healing.

After loosing his wealth, children, wife, and his health, Job then realizes his friends were gone as well. They came to visit him and "comfort" him in his time of need... by rebuking him and telling him to repent for whatever wrong he has committed. Wow, I am so glad my friends are not like his. But his response to them got my attention.

He didn't relent on speaking out on his innocence... and he went a little further. He mentioned his pain, then spoke on a more important matter. What does his pain matter? There is so much more to the book of Job then patience and pain....

Job 9:32-33

32 "He is not a man like me that I might answer him,
that we might confront each other in court.
33 If only there were someone to arbitrate between us,
to lay his hand upon us both,

No, He is not like a man. He is mighty and perfect in every way. Job and his "friends" continued their conversation until, finally, God spoke. But, rather than answering Job's questions or addressing his concerns, God quickly pointed out Who He was, and still is. . . He questioned Job.

Job 38:3-9
3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.
4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?
8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
9 when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness....

This got me to thinking... What is more important? My situations, or having a relationship with the One Who knows all, makes all, and takes care of all. . . My pain cowers in the shadows of my relationship with God. I am blessed! And just like in Job 6:10, "Then I would still have this consolation— my joy in unrelenting pain—that I had not denied the words of the Holy One......" I have that consolation as well.

God I thank you that I know and am known by you.... Lord thank you so much that I do have an intercessor (Job 9:33) with you arbitrating on my behalf. I am blessed to see what matters in this life... and that is You.

">

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...