Friday, September 10, 2010

Actions Speak Louder Than Words


"You shall not misuse the name of the Lord, your God..." Exodus 20:7

Written across our minds and seared into the hearts of Christian children are the Ten Commandments.... As a child, I remember all too well the consequences of stating anything that remotely sounded close to speaking a profanity involving our Lord's name. Let's just say Dawn dish detergent does not wet my palate.

It is easy to recognize when one is taking the Lord's name in vain... We all know the words that have been stricken from our vocabularies. I however, am of the belief that we as Christians frequently take His name in vain without saying a word.

Ezekiel 36:20-23 (NKJV)
When they came to the nations, wherever they went, they profaned My holy name—when they said of them, ‘These are the people of the LORD, and yet they have gone out of His land.’ But I had concern for My holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations wherever they went.
“Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “I do not do this for your sake, O house of Israel, but for My holy name’s sake, which you have profaned among the nations wherever you went. And I will sanctify My great name, which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD,” says the Lord GOD, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes."

Not by speaking, but by their actions, the Israelites profaned the name of the Most High God.

Daily we take the name if our Savior in vain. We take His name in vain when we alter the Word to cover our sins; when we use His namesake to further our selfish desires; when we show up for church for every Sunday and fail to be His Word throughout the week; when we let our anger overtake us and fail to be the example of love to the nations (and well, burn Korans). . .

God my prayer today is that, as Your child, I bear Your name well. Help me to love and devote my days to lifting Your name higher. Teach me Your purpose in lieu of my plans..... Help me to not take Your Name in vain.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage to obtain most up-to-date updates, so where can i do it pleas help.


    my web page :: Arthur Falcone

    ReplyDelete