Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Than My Next Breath

For me, loving comes as easily as breathing. I simply love people. I devoted most of my adult life as a cop to helping others. Now in my early thirties, I have had to leave law enforcement due to a back injury… but the desire to love others is still here in my heart. So, I am pursuing an education in the health care industry.
My love for people is instilled into my being. It is part of who I am. I was made in the image of the epitome of Love itself. My God loves. His love makes me want to love others. His love is constant and unfailing. His love makes me want to love Him as well… until my desire for Him is greater than my desire for my next breath.

Sounds extreme, I know. But the Bible tells us in Mark 12:30 (NLT) “And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” This was also mentioned in Luke 10:27 and Matthew 22:37. As a matter of fact, throughout the Bible, we see the same commandment. Old and New Testament authors tell us to love the Lord our God with all that is in us…. We are to love Him with all our hearts.

When I first set out to love God with a Singleness of Heart, I felt that it would be the most difficult task I have ever in my Christian walk attempted. But it has, by far, been the easiest.

I am only doing half of the work. As I draw close to Him, He comes close to me (“Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world” ~James 4:8 NLT). As I study and read His Word, I begin to know Him. I see depictions of His character and His love for me. My heart desires His presence…. I am beginning to crave Him more than my next breath.

Prayer: My God, Lover of my soul, help me to love You with all that I am. Open the eyes of my Heart and allow me to see Your hands at work in my life today and every day. Show me Your heart for me and Your desires for my life through Your Word. Help me to draw near to You with a Singleness of Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...