Monday, June 2, 2014

Oh No.....It is Sunday, AGAIN?!?!?

     It happens every Sunday.... My attempts at making breakfast are thwarted by two big dogs demanding their morning walk, a baby needing her bottle and a diaper change (ten minutes ago), picking out clothes, and hopes of actually getting a quick shower before throwing on whatever outfit doesn't look like it was spray painted on my post-pregnancy body.... then heading to the car.   At this point we, my husband -baby-and me, make our thirty five minute drive to church. We do our best to find a parking space within sight of the main entrance and trek inside.  We always opt to sit in the back and on the end of whatever aisle is available as our tiny one is not the quietest in church. Also, I usually end up taking her out halfway through the service to calm her a bit and prefer not to have to step on other churchgoers (They prefer that too it seems).  Every Sunday, once we find our seats and sit down, I ask myself the same questions: Why do we put ourselves through this? Is it worth it every Sunday? Why are we here when we could just watch it on the live broadcast from the comfort of our living room?
    Then as worship begins, something happens.... We come together. All of us under one roof (usually a couple thousand in attendance each Sunday)... and my heart melts. I watch as my husband worships and my one year old baby bounces up and down attempting to dance to the music; laughing, smiling, and waving her toys in the air.  God speaks to my heart and I become increasingly aware that it is more than us just coming to God's living room to see a show.
    First of all, it is about strengthening each other.  The Bible states in 1 Corinthians 14:26, "Well, my brothers and sisters, let's summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you (NLT)."  We come together not just to worship our God, but as a corporate body to strengthen, learn from, and love one another.  
  Second, we are commanded to come together. As Christians, we are told not to forsake assembling together:
Hebrews 10:24-25 "and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds,not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near." 
    Finally, they ARE paying attention.  I know some of you may be thinking, "Why doesn't she just put her little one in the church provided daycare? That would relieve some of the Sunday morning stress" Well, there are many reasons... but mainly because my tiny one was born more than three months early. Her immune system's defense is not the best. She has been sick on two occasions since she departed the NICU. BOTH times were when she was allowed around other children. So maybe I worry a little... But a truly big reason is what she is learning with us.         She watches us raise our hands and sing praises to our God on high! She places her tithe (from her Christmas and birthday monies) into the bucket as it comes by. She sits in amazement listening to her pastor, Brady Boyd, as he teaches from the Living Word of God. She gets excited when she hears familiar praise and worship songs (she listens to  A LOT of Hillsong and Jesus Culture at home).  The Bible says in Proverbs 22:6, "Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it." I have never been a mother.  This is all new to me.  But I believe when we place value on Sunday mornings as a time of praise, worship, and fellowship.... she will to.  Nothing touches my heart quite like seeing her happy at church. My prayer is that she learns to love God, and Sunday mornings...If you see us there, give us a little waive and we will give a smile. God bless you all! Thank you for being there with us each and every Sunday to strengthen us, learn with us, and help us set the example of worship to our tiny one. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...