Sunday, February 4, 2018

It was a tiny, pink glitter bow that threw me off course

     Today was like every other Sunday... I went to pick my sweet angel up from children's church amidst a crowd of people. When I got to her room I smiled as I watched her coloring with other kids. She looked up and saw me; but, for some reason, she did not come running like she always does.
      Shame will make you act different... even if you are a child.
      The teacher walked over to her table and told her to stop coloring, it was time to go. Still, she didn't move.  Finally, she looked at me, put down her marker, and came running. She smiled as she excitedly showed me the page she had been coloring. I talked to her about what she had learned that morning. She recited stories of Jesus and how He loves us no matter what...
      We walked outside to where my husband had pulled the truck up. It was snowing a little and the air was icy.  We got in and headed to lunch.


       I can't actually say I didn't see the bright, glittery pink bow. It had caught my eye. But I stopped short of asking her about it. I was so caught up in the hustle of picking up my girl and heading to the truck through the crowd of people that I decided not to ask. Despite a voice in me repeatedly telling me to do so. It was almost dinner time this afternoon when I mentioned it.
       I asked her where she got the cute bow. She replied it was her new bracelet. I asked if they had given it to her at church. The short answer was no. She looked at me and almost whispered, " I took it, I should probably give it back." She finally came out with her "full" story.  Her class had visited another class. While in the classroom, she watched a little girl set her hair bow down on a table. She immediately went over and took it.
      My heart fell to my stomach. I had no idea how to respond. At first I was angry. I looked into those tiny, green eyes and wanted to shame her. But I said nothing. Then I felt sadness and disappointment.  We teach her right from wrong. We tell her she should never take. I had never seen this side of her.  But here it was. Sin. Staring at me. How to teach? How to explain to a four year old that stealing hurts the little girl she took from. The little girl who is now missing her bow.  Stealing breaks God's heart. She should never take what is not hers.
      So I pray.  God, give me direction. Tell me what you would have me say. Lead me in the path of righteousness; for Your name's sake.


Psalm 23: 2-3 NIV
"He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for His name’s sake."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...