Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Resolutely

 

   Luke 9:51, "As the time approached for Him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem." Admirably, purposefully, faithfully, loyally, steadfastly.....Resolutely. Knowing the plan and the pain He would suffer; the Lover of our Soul set out for Jerusalem with a determination that he would reunite God the Father with lowly and sinful mankind. He knew the costs; and knew that death awaited Him; but, His love for us outweighed any fear of death. Why? Because "there is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out all fear (1 John 4:18a). "

   I won't lie; I am not yet strong enough to face this world's trials with the determination of Christ. However, I have faith in His love for me. Romans 8:28 tells me, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose." I love God. I know I have been called for His purpose. I know that that I was His idea. I know that he knit me together in my mother's womb ( Psalm 139) and that he crafted my heart individually (Psalm 33:15). All of this is important. So with resolution, I rise to His calling and will for my life. His perfect will. 

   Life took a turn 6 months ago. Without warning, my husband of 11 1/2 years, the father of our two children, left for his paramour. I woke up to an empty bed and a broken heart. I was hurt and confused. I had no family here (military spouse). I was broken. The marriage was never good; the abuse was real. But it was all I had known and there was a comfort in security. The pain and fear of the unknown should have crippled me.  But God, in His love and mercy, lifted me up out of the mud and set my feet on solid ground (Psalm 40:2). He is leading me. He loves me. He is for me. I will rise every morning with a resolution. I have a new song, and I will sing. 

   Walk with me through this time. For those going through similar pain, know that you are not alone. "Be strong and courageous. ... Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deut 31:5). Our days are not easy; but, our help comes from the Lord. We are not alone (Psalm 121).  



Still I Rise

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
I rise
Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...