Sunday, January 3, 2010

Identity Theft ~ Has This Happened to You?


As a child, the youngest of three, I was always known as my brothers' little sister. When my oldest brother passed, I was nineteen. I soon found myself searching for who I was. I quickly met and married a young man named Robbie; and, for a short time, I was known as his wife. Our divorce was not so bad for the simple fact that I was, and for a few more years would be known as officer Bekah.

Just over three years ago, the Spirit led me out of law enforcement and into new home sales for one of the nations top builders. I made a name for myself very quickly and produced many sales. I was a little shocked when, after three years, God told me to quit my job.... huh? In this economy? But I quit. I have been unemployed since September of 2009.

A few weeks ago, I was praying to God and I asked Him a very specific question. "Why have you taken away all that I am? After the death of my brother, my divorce, and career changes, I do not know who I am anymore."

God always answers :o).

2 Corinthians 5:17 ~ "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"

Romans 8:16 ~ "The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."

John 1:12-13 ~ "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent,nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God. . ."

Who am I? By all appearances, I am a young, white, American, female whose name is Rebekah Lynne. . . But my identity is so much more.

I am a child of God. It is who I am. It is who I chose to be. It is whom He wanted me to be when He chose to call me His own. It is my identity; it can never change. No one can take it away from me.

God explained to me that He had not taken away who I was; He simply cleared out the messes in my life so that He could show me who I am. He gives me my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...