Friday, December 30, 2011

It is Funny How this Works


I received an email from a dear friend of mine today who is troubled with a current situation in her life. She has done so much to try to "fix" the situation and has really poured her heart into it. Then she made the statement, " I guess all I can do is give...and the situation to God." I started to respond to her email to let her know that I would be praying for/with her; but, I couldn't respond right away. Those four words, all I can do, really troubled me. I said a prayer and thought about it throughout the day and night.

How many times have I said the same thing? It is funny, sometimes, how God will open your eyes to your own heart by revealing a glimpse of another's. I read His Word and sometimes I forget key instructions that He has given. Instructions like those given in James 5:13-16:

13. Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. (NIV)

Prayer is our first line of defense in EVERY situation. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 actually tells us to never stop praying. Even Jesus, the Word made flesh, demonstrated the importance of prayer in our lives. He spent His last night on Earth (before His death and resurrection) praying and seeking God's perfect will. We should be constantly in a conversation with our Father. And wow, how powerful it is to know that He is listening non-stop!

It is just funny how this works! Thank You, Father, for opening my eyes. Life would be so much easier for me if I sought You first and foremost in all things. Help me to remember that in all situations, I should pray. So, from here on out, I WILL PRAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...