Friday, October 26, 2012

Weakness is His Strength

Many know this story; but for those of you who do not... Gideon was a man of God. In the book of Judges, we read chronicles of how he led Israel. His name means "Mighty Destroyer." But it was his  faith, not his name sake, that led to the destruction of massive armies. 

In the 7th Chapter of Judges, Gideon led the Israeli army against the might forces of the Midianite and the Amalekite Armies.  He had with him well over thirty thousand fighting men.  They were a force like no other in that time; and, many had heard of their strength and valor. The Army of Israel knew of the fear they struck into the hearts of other nations.  

God also knew of Israel's pride and how Israel would boast of their accomplishments.  He needed the Israelite people to trust in Him alone; not in their own strength. So, being a God like no other ("Remember what happened long ago, for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and no one is like Me." Isaiah 46:9), He made a decision like no other.  He advised Gideon to send some people home. All but 300 men. Gideon was to attack two of the strongest armies of his time with only 300 fighting men. 

Judges 7:The Lord said to Gideon, “With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands. Let all the other men go, each to his own place.” 7:8. So Gideon sent the rest of the Israelites to their tents but kept the three hundred, who took over the provisions and trumpets of the others. 

God was with Gideon and he gave him and Israel victory.  God blessed his faith and his obedience. Gideon believed in God's power...not his own resources. 


Our God is a God of numbers (among other things). I wonder, in my life, what are the areas where I am putting faith in my own calculations and not in my God. My finances? My family? School? What if I used my shield of faith to combat the large numbers this life threw at me instead of counting on my breastplate of righteousness to deflect their attacks. 
Father God, El-Shaddai~ My Provider, I take my hands off of this World and its devices. I trust in You and know You alone are supreme. I need Your perfect strength to fight all of my battles. I let go of the faith I have in myself. I put all hope in You. 

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

Carefully Watched

      Luke 14:1: "One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched."      ...